Sunday, February 24, 2013

Me, my computer and....life

First me and my computer, which I call Appa ( I have a wicked love affair with Avatar: The Last Airbender) have a deep connection. He is my fist MAC that I ever bought and he convinced me that Apple was the way to go. I had been a PC girl since 94 when you have to manually load up everything before you even got to the Startup Menu. We had a computer before the world wide web went online. It was all very exciting. I'm sure when the telephone was first introduced the world was abuzz with glee. Everyone except Mr. Carson (and if you don't know who that is you aren't cool enough to keep reading this blog.)

I bought him in the Spring semester of 2010 and I had barely had him an hour before I was in a SGA (student government for all the non-nerd readers) meeting where we were voting on the by-law revisions myself and six other over-achieving SGA members had been working on for four months. And Appa saved my life that night. And it was that day that our bond was formed. I would liken it to the bond between a loyal and their familiar. He anticipated my every need and his keys now fit my fingers perfectly. Even though a few of the letter on the keys have been rubbed off I still know what they are.

I think any writer forms an attachment to whatever writing implement they use for their craft and Appa happens to be mine. Though I do cheat on him with mountain of Composition books what I use for plotting and outlining.

Ok I think I've waxed poetic about App long enough.

So as I embark on my journey to the NYT Best Sellers list I have to fit my real life in there somewhere, and that is proving more difficult than I imagined. Not the wanting to be a writer part. I think I've got that part down. I'm applying to NC State's MFA program for creative writing next year. Which I am extremely excited about I can't even being to explain that and I am writing every day.

However I find that I have to get up and go to work! And that is a struggle for me. When I wan unemployed I got into the habit of waking up at 4 pm eating a bowl of Lucky Charms turning on the TV and grabbing my laptop to sit down and write. Then I would have lunch around 10 pm and dinner at about 6 am then crawl back into my bat cave to repete the cycle again at 4. That was great and life was good.

Now, that I have a job my writing is trying to remain in the driver's seat and I can't let it because I've got to make a living. Well a living that isn't writing at the moment.

And my family is having a hard time taking me seriously as a writer. Not that they don't support me don't misunderstand, but they don't get me. Well if I were being honest my family has never got me. I've always been the odd nerd out. Never-mind the fact that I'm strictly a fantasy writer and my family just doesn't get dragons, elves and Hobbits. So talking to them about my novels is like trying to take a zombie to dinner....never a good idea.

So I guess that's what pushed me into the arms of writing groups. I just needed to be around my people. Birds of a feather and all that jazz. I went to the High Point Public Library to attend The Story Cauldron's meeting and while it was a small affair I found myself really enjoying it. It allowed me to wave my nerd flag and get some love for it.

So maybe this can be my creative outlet while I am earning a living before my Masters program starts. Though I have a feeling that my alter ego the Ink Well Assassin won't be satisfied with just monthly meetings. I may have to sacrifice sleep to get some writing done. I am sure there have been plenty of great people who had to do without something in order to fulfill their life's dream and that maybe the road is less traveled for a reason. Not everyone is prepared to give up a part of their life to pursue their love.

Since my boyfriend who I thought was going to be my husband broke up with me I find that I have room in my life for a new love. And my writing will be he. 

No comments:

Post a Comment