Monday, February 25, 2013

Fiction Idea #1

So I've been noodling around with a few ideas for the upcoming Camp Nano session and I think I've landed on the idea that I want to go with.

Title: The Red Hood

Genre: fantasy steampunk

Protagonist: India James aka Kitty Canary aka The Red Hood. India is 23 years old and the headline act at the Bird Cage. Neptune's premier burlesque club and hangout spot for the Voltok Family. India is shorter than average barely five feet tall in her heels. She has a short bob of black hair, but she wears wigs a lot when she is out on the prowl. India grew up in the suburbs of Neptune. The only child of a local politician and a office manager for the local FBI office.

Other Main Characters: Rook Chess, another runaway that fell in with India and became the front man for the Bird Cage and the Alfred to her Batman. Marisol, India's personal assistant in charge of her appointments, appearance and fanmail. Another runaway that India caught sneaking around the club. And Det. Omar Farooq, one of the straight arrow cops on the NPD. He is in charge of the gang unit and the point man on the hunt for The Red Hood.

Antagonists: The entire Voltok family and all of their minions. The Voltok is a Russian crime family/werewolves that run Neptune. They are into human trafficking, drugs, guns, prostitution, gambling, and racketeering.  Sergei and Alyona are the heads of the family with seven sons and five daughters. So also has to battle against the corrupt cops, judges, and public officials.

Setting: This is going to take place in a alternative United States with a lot of steampunk influences. The main setting is going to be Neptune, North Carolina. A seething metropolis of crime that is going to make Sin City look like Disney World. The city is in the iron grip of the Voltok family

Plot: No one told India when she went to school that day that it would be the last time she saw her mother's face still attached to her head. Or the last time her world would make sense. When she finds both of her parents murdered and the Voltok calling card left behind India embarks on a bloody trail of revenge that pushes her to take on the veil of the The Red Hood to dispense her brand of justice on those responsible for the death of her parents.

Point of View: Right now its going to be 3rd person limited through India's eyes. But I may add investigative notes from Det. Farooq.

Story Notes: I haven't actually started on the plot outline yet and I'm working out the kinks in some of my characters and the plot, but I'm hoping during March I can nail down my plot points and things before Camp NaNo starts. I've got a fair bit of research to do as this is my first foray into steampunk, but I really feel like this story would be a great fit and plus I've been watching Warehouse 13 and HG Wells really inspired India. Though she does have a bit of Elektra and Catwoman thrown in there for good measure. I want India to be as tough as they come, but I want her to be a vixen with vulnerabilities. Not like a broken heart or mind nothing that far down the rabbit hole, but I want her to be immature in some ways but I don't know what. Like I don't want her to be so hard that she can't break because I hate those sorts of female characters. Like she has to be a real superhero or something. The Red Hood isn't going to get bitten by a radioactive spider or dropped into a vat of toxic sludge. She is just going to be a girl looking for revenge stalking the night for signs of her prey.  

No comments:

Post a Comment