Thursday, February 28, 2013

To be or not to be...in a writing group

Ok I've been kicking around the idea of a writing group for a while now. Well let me rephrase that. I've been thinking about starting my own since the more established group wasn't really my cup of tea. Names have been changed to protect the innocent. They didn't do anything wrong it just wasn't a good fit for me.

The other groups were too far away and I want to have face to face meetings. Computers and phones are cool for awhile be even I crave human interaction sometimes. Though when I want my space I want my space. Being a avid and enthusiastic NaNoer I've found over the years that I actually like writing when in a group setting, and it motivates me more.

In my area there aren't a lot of writing groups. Which is both surprising and sad because in the Triad we have 7 universities and 3 community colleges, and only two writing groups on the campuses. Those groups are only open to students. Top that off with one of the best MFA programs for creative writing happening on UNCG which has no writing group at all. This area is rich with creative people who are looking for outlets for their creativity. NaNoWriMo is lovely don't get me wrong but it only happens once a year. Well three times a year if you throw in the two camp sessions. So that leaves nine months out of the year with nothing happening. How is a gifted person like myself supposed to survive on that?

Now I find myself in the curious crossroad of going left into the land of not starting a writing group, or going right, leaping into that blue police box and starting a writing group. This is maybe a choice that I can't make on a whim or overnight. I might have to noodle this a bit...

No comments:

Post a Comment