Monday, June 17, 2013

Book Babblings

The Vampire Code by E.C. Adams 



The Nitty Gritty: Aurora Lake is the newest hot shot lawyer in New York City. Defending the wicked from justice while smiling for the camera is the life she loves living.

Until Sebastian Fiscard walks through her door. His brother, the vampire Robert Fiscard stands accused of murdering a human. Aurora is the lawyer they want to represent him in vampire court. She is the first human invited to take a peek into the secretive proceedings of the newly outed vampires.

Not everyone is happy with this arrangement. Between the fear of getting drained and the fear or getting shot by human extremists Aurora has her hands full, but if the sexy vampire turned bodyguard Sebastian  has anything to say about it Aurora will have only one thing on her mind.

Opening Line: "Sebastian Fiscard couldn't have been more than thirty-five when he died."

The Good: Any true Grisham fan would love to get a peek into a vampire court. I am no exception. I was happy to see that it was literally all cloaks and daggers. Well no daggers, but handguns were present. That was enough for me.

When she was in her power suit and in court Aurora was one tough cookie. I would certainly want her on my side if I ever got into trouble. She was tough, took no prisoners and held her ground. It made her a great and competent lawyer.

The Bad: For all the build up of the trial it was a relatively short procedure. I expected it to last at least the entire chapter, but it felt like the trial was the backdrop to the rest of the story when the novel blurb made it out to be the central part of the plot.

I am still reeling over the plot twist of Aurora's past. I am a fantasy junkie. Give me faires of give me death shall be etched on my tombstone, but I hate the obituary throwing in of the fantasy elements. The element felt obtuse and forced. And if left me completely confused. I mean it was so fast I had to go back and reread to make sure I had actually read what I read. Not sure if this is still a book about vampires or even about Aurora.

There are a lot of exclamation points in this book and I'm not entirely sure why. I have never been a fan of using exclamation points just for the sake of using them.

The romance seemed a little force. I didn't that build up to a great romance that I was looking for. It was like one minute she hated Sebastian the next she wanted to take him down to the floor and have her way with him. I don't know it it was the pacing or what, but it didn't feel real to me.  

Final Thoughts: I may read the second book of this series just to see if the confusion is cleared up. Depending on how I feel that day.


No comments:

Post a Comment