Thursday, September 12, 2013

Book Babblings

To Kill a Warlock by H.P. Mallory 

The Nitty Gritty: Dulcie O'Neil is a fairy regulator for he ANC. Its her job to keep the supernatural set of California in line. In short she is the long arm of the law for creatures from the Netherworld.

After a nasty hex from a well known illegal potion smuggler Dulcie returns to arrest the bastard. Only to find him ripped apart and half eaten, and now she is the prime suspect.

On the hunt for the killer she is saddled with a agent from the Netherworld and she can't tell anyone. Oh and she might be in the middle of a love square. All in a day's work for a fairy.

Opening Line: "There was no way n hell I was looking in the mirror."

The Good: I had such incredible high hopes for this book. The jacket grabbed my attention for the word go. Society has always placed fairies in the non-threatening category. After all we call gay men with more glitter than testosterone, fairies in an effort to emasculate them. So we never think of fairies as doing more than flying and giggling. I love you Tinkerbell! So I loved that Mallory took a fairy, gave her a gun and a bit of an attitude. It was a nice touch in a otherwise lackluster book.

The Bad: Dulcie O'Neil is all that is wrong with this book. So much so that I was unable to finish this book because I wanted to physically throw up if I had to spend another second being inside her head. Her name sucks. Not in a candy sucking sort of way either. It really sucks. Its not a name that rolls easily off the tongue. Its not a name that makes any sort of sense and I had a class with a honest to God, Bonquesha.

I found her hatred of her ears completely annoying. I am all for a wardrobe upgrade, a new hair color or sexier panties. But I draw that line at changing something that fundamentally makes you who you are. It would be like me not wanting to be black anymore. Being black is who I am. Part of who makes me who I am. To think about hating that part of myself enough to want to change that makes me physically ill.

The "love" square in this book went beyond the pale of believability. None of it made sense. There wasn't enough build up and you should never throw more than two potential lovers at a characters in the first book. I mean come on whet our appetites a bit first. I just felt that she was trying too hard to work in some romance in a book that would have been a better book without it.

I am so sick and tired of female leads with self esteem issues. Seriously! I am serious. What gives? Are women that self conscious about themselves. Are we that shallow that we are always thinking about our appearance and measuring ourselves up against other women? Its disgusting that everyone thinks Dulcie is beautiful and she thinks she is an ugly hag. Any woman that enters her line of sight is in danger of a death glare because Dulcie thinks they are prettier than her and thus after her man. Which man we don't know because she had a harem of them to choose from.

Final Thoughts: Will never finish this book nor start the rest of the books.

0 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment