Saturday, May 11, 2013

Throwback Babbles

The Ruins of Gorlan by John Flanagan 

The Nitty Gritty: Will is a young ward of Baron Arald, has dreams of being a knight. Just like ever other boy of the realm. Unfortunately for Will he is the smallest thing running around the castle. His chances of becoming a knight couldn't be worse if he were blind and lame.

With his hopes dashed he agrees to undergo the training to become a King's Ranger. He agrees to become a part of a group that the populace swears practices black magic with uncanny ability to step out of trees and slip out of any situation.

Will will learn how to track, hunt, shoot and strategist with the best of them, but his idilic training is cut short when news of Morgarath's schemes reach the ears of the Ranger's Corp. Being nothing more than an apprentice Will has to step into the role of a seasoned Ranger if he is to survive until he get's his silver oakleaf.

Opening Line: "Morgarath, Lord of the Mountains of Rain and Night, former Baron of Gorlan in the Kingdom of Araluen, looked over over his bleak, rainswept doman and, for perhaps the thousandth time, cursed."

What's the 411: I picked up this book during a stroll through Barnes and Noble. I like to hang out in the kid's section because they seem to have the best fantasy books. Now this isn't strictly a fantasy book, but it is set in a alternate world as such as any fantasy book can be.

I picked up this book because of the cover and truth be told. This isn't the sort of book I would normally read, but I read it anyways and I am glad that I did. I instantly fell in love with Will and the entire gang.

Though this book series has ten books and they all tie in together the first four books thread together better than the other books do. Well the series is more of a grouping of books in a collection.

This is the build up of the great story arch of the first three books. So Morgarath used to be the Baron or Gorlan until he thought he should be King. He lead a revolt and was outsmarted by Halt and the Ranger corp. Running with his tail between his legs he sought refuge in the Mountains of Rain and Night. There he began to plot his revenge. The start of his takeover involved the killing of key members of the King's army and his inner circle. Instead of getting his hands dirty he sends monsters of legend after his victims.

Creatures so fearsome not even the ranger Halt can fell them alone. Will is thrust into a man's world well before his time, but he rises to the occasion. He saves the entire fiefdom and his mentor.

The Good: With all the female dominated fantasy its nice to see a fantasy book written from the point of view of a boy. The later books focus on the female characters, but in the beginning its all about Will and I love that.

I love Halt. I really do. Don't know if I could be his apprentice  but I love him. He is a no-nonsense mentor that you want. He is going to teach you how to do things right and expect that from you each and every time. He appreciates the things in Will that Will thought were stumbling blocks. Though he is cold and distant at first he soon warms up to the young ward and starts to think of him as a son. He doesn't coddle him in the least, but he is still protective of him just the same.

I love that we got to see another side of Horace. We all know a bully when we see one and at first glance Horace is a horrible bully that made life hell for Will. So much so that Will had to have escape routes mapped out all over the castle so he could avoid a beating. Like you I wrote Horace off as a stupid jock bully that would go on to do nothing amazing save father a few dimwitted babies and drink himself into a stupir every night at the pub. Wait for it...Horace actually becomes the victim once he starts Battleschool. He suffers torment at the hands on three older cadets. Horace thinking that it the bullying is all part of Battleschool and some insane hazing ritual keeps his mouth shut and suffers in silence. My estimation of Horace rose at that point. It wasn't until his reconciliation with Will did I finally grow to like Horace. He turned out to be a pretty decent guy. By the end of the series Horace turns out to be one of my favorite characters. He just grows into a strapping young man that I wouldn't mind marrying myself.

I love the idea of the Ranger's Corp. They are more than police and more than spies. They are fiercely loyal to King Duncan and they put the safety of the kingdom above all else. They take the small and the apparently weak and turn them into well honed machines of justice. Several kingdoms are only still standing because of them. They are a sneaky bunch of fellas that do more for the kingdom than anyone realizes.

During the boar hunt Will is put into mortal danger and after he is rescued he cries. I'm not a crier myself so I don;t really understand the emotions that spark such an outpouring, but I know enough about the act to know that men are not supposed to cry. Maybe when they get shot in the face its ok for them to cry a little, but they better suck it up before someone sees, but Flanagan allows Will to cry and he allows Halt to comfort him. He doesn't tell him to suck it up and be a man, he holds him and tells him the tears are ok.

The Bad: I can't find too much wrong with this book. I do wish there were more female characters in the book, but that is purely personal and didn't effect the book in shape or form. I really loved it and I am hoping there is a movie forth coming.

My Final Say: If big things coming in little packages is your idea of a fun ride then the Ruins of Gorlan is your ticket to funky town. Love every single book in this series. And you always remember your first.

No comments:

Post a Comment