Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Pitching My Tent

I know its been awhile since you have heard from me and I want to offer my apologies. I've been on my way to Camp and the going was a bit rough in the beginning. So we are moving into the second week of Camp NanoWriMo and I am ahead of the curve ball. I am sitting pretty at 20,012 words. So I am one happy camper.

I am a night owl so I like to write when the iron is hot and for me that is during the night. No wait I like to do everything at night. I guess that's why I love vampires so much. Well certain vamps like the Harris or Ward vamps. I wouldn't want to be a Dracula vampire.

After that happy little tidbit, I got a late start to camp on account of my friend Umar's wedding. The wedding was a lot of fun I have to say. I got to look at gorgeous Desi guys and eat great Desi food so it was camp time well spent.


So it is known far and wide that I am a fantasy writer. Always have been and always well be. I don't know how to write anything else. And I've tried to. I really have. My second NaNo endeavor was a mystery. I did hit 50k but the story was a complete diaster of Twilight proportions.

That is not an exaggeration. Oh how I wish it was. I mean I could barely go back and try to breath new life into by editing it. It was so bad I had to bury it in the backyard while Taps played softly on my ipod.

I guess my brain just doesn't work that way. Though I do love a good mystery tv show or a movie. I learned my lesson then and there. I stuck to fantasy and the ride has been great. Well my current novel is wholly fantasy, but there are murders that have to be solved and I am having the damnest time getting started on the investigations. My mind is fighting me as my fingers hover over my keyboard. It refuses to compete the elements of a mystery.

Which is supremely frustrating because I've read mountains of mystery novels. Hell James Patterson is about to get my kicked out of my home if I can't find a place to put him. So I should know how to do this. I did my outline, worked on all of my scenes and still its like wading through cold molasses. I might take a day to sit down and work through my murders and the investigations. I mean I've got all the Castle DVDs and CSI and Law & Order are always on reruns so I should be able to gleam something that will aid my in my journey to NaNoLand.

That sounds like a great idea. I need to do something otherwise my story is going to stall out and that just doesn't work with me. I will finish this book. I just need to batten the hatches and do the legwork and the research.

Maybe I will get lucky and my muse will have mercy on me.

No comments:

Post a Comment