Friday, July 12, 2013

Book Babblings

Hero's Guide to Storming the Castle (The League of Princes #2) by Christopher Healy

The Nitty Gritty: The League of Princes has been called back together again. Which is a good thing because Gustav knows nothing about farming, Liam and Ella have been kicked out of the castle, Duncan's family has stopped by for a visit and Frederic has a snappy new suit.

In this sequel tale of bumbling Prince Charmings, Sleeping Beauty is determined to get her happily ever after. Even if that means she has to chain Prince Charming to the alter.

All is not wedded bliss for the League uncovers a sinister plot to take over the world from one of their own. It falls to the princes to confront an old enemy as new ones lines up to fight their way into a Reynaldo rhyme.

Opening Line: "A true hero plays the flute."

The Good: I am loving all the female leads in this series. Not only are they all individual characters with strong voices they are all different characters entirely. We have the comic relief in Snow White. The mean girl with a chip on her shoulder in Briar Rose. We have the adventurer in Cinderella, and the gentle soul in Rapunzel. While these ladies fit into nice round molds at times they freely move from one character trope to the other seamlessly. It is a surprise on every page.

I wish more adult books had illustrations in them. I love the little pictures dotted through out this book. It gave me a tickle every time I turned the page and found one.

Healy manages to balance pure buffoonery with comedic wit with the ease of Larry David like pro. It was enough to just keep up with the rapid pace of the laughs and cringes. I love that Healy is writing a boo for children that treats children like emerging adults and not babies that need to be coddled from the ugly side of life. Not that I want bloody gore smeared across each and every page. That is not what I'm saying, but he is taking a mature approach to his writing. Not sure if children are appreciating this fact but I am.  I like children books that write to their audience with the understanding that their audience is going to mature over the course of their series. So they start off writing at that maturity level instead of scrambling at the end to catch up to their much older audience.  

The Bad: This romantic musical chairs is a little distracting. In a good way that makes it bad. This is a middle grades book so I'm not expecting snogs and boob grabs around every corner, but I hate all the stolen looks and blushing that is going on without any payoffs. We all know who needs to be with who I just want them to get there before I die of frustration. Though it is keeping me entertained.

My Final Thoughts: I will never think of Prince Charming the same way again. Which is a good thing. Can't wait for another Hero's Guide. I am thinking of bringing capes back into style.


No comments:

Post a Comment